I know that you are willing to do whatever it takes to help your child be successful and we appreciate your involvement with this initiative. Here’s how the “Building a School of Readers” reading initiative works:
· Your child’s teacher will send home information about the weekly and monthly reading goal for your child.
· Each child is expected to read outside of school and return feedback forms to teachers weekly. Your child’s teacher will provide information about how that will work.
· Each Friday that a student completes the weekly goal, he/she will fill out a “brick” to put in a dump truck at the office.
· During announcements on Friday, 1-2 names will be drawn from each classroom and the weekly winners will enjoy an Otter Pop with Mrs. McKenzie.
· Bricks will then be put up on a wall to form a “Wall of Readers.” This will be a visual sign of the progress our students have made in their reading efforts and commitment. The wall will stay up for the remainder of the year.
· The process and goals will begin anew each week with winners each Friday.
· At the end of the month, all students that have completed the classroom goal will enjoy an extra recess with Mrs. McKenzie.
THANK YOU for being actively involved in your child’s education! We must work together to help our children be successful. Happy Reading!
Submitted by S. McKenzie