What a great summer here in the Copper Basin! I hope everyone enjoyed it to the fullest. As our summer winds down, attention turns to gearing up for another exciting school year at Glennallen School. The maintenance and custodial staff have put a lot of effort this summer into making our school the best. In addition, several classrooms have moved. The first day of school is August 25th and classes begin promptly at 8:50am. School will be released daily at 3pm.
Nearly all of our fantastic staff has returned. Principal Byron Rice will be in charge of the elementary school wing while I will be leading the secondary grades 6-12. However, we will both be working supportively and strongly together to make a great and unifying school. Jim Lorence, our guidance counselor, will also be helping me perform some of my administrative duties (His office is located next to mine). Our 6th grade teacher Ben Dolgner will be the new athletic director.
There will be many new, exciting e-learning opportunities for the students this year. The 6-12 grade students will each be issued a laptop computer. There will also be more on-line classes available. In addition, parents, students, and visitors must enter through the front school doors for the doors will be permanently locked and all visitors will be on a video monitoring system. Visitors will be buzzed into the building and will need to sign in at the office.
It is very important that you check the school district website and click “The Current” link daily. This will be my main method of communicating to you all school wide news and functions. You can also find the most current, up-to-date school information on our school’s own website calendar. PLEASE join our mailing list on the CRSD webpage (see enclosed document) for this will also have the most updated school information.
As part of your child’s educational team, you are invited to attend the Beginning of the Year Assembly at 9:05am on Monday August 25 in the gym for grades K-12. This brief assembly will be a great chance to meet the new staff, connect with returning staff, and celebrate the beginning of a successful school year.
Listed below is some information you may find helpful as we prepare for the new school year:
· Junior high and high school students will need to bring money for renting a lock for their locker on the first day of school. The cost is $5.00---PLEASE bring exact amount. Money will be returned to the student at the end of the year when locks are returned.
· If your child will be participating in sports this year, he/she will need to have an up-to-date physical PRIOR to participating in any practice. Activity fees will again be required for each sporting activity your child participates in (HS: $100 & $75 for JH).
· If you know of any new students to the area, please encourage them to come enroll their child prior to school starting. Secretaries will be here beginning on August 11th.
· Please mark your calendars for Thursday, September 4th. We will host a “Hotdog Howdy” Open House and you are our invited guests. It will take place from 5:00-6:30pm and is a time to meet your child’s teacher(s), see the classrooms, and have dinner with us!
· School supply lists are posted on the school district website: www.crsd.us. Copies of the supply list will be posted around town as well.
· Students will be released early (1:15pm) eight times this year to provide time for staff development on a number of district initiatives. Early release dates are noted on your school calendar and are posted on the district website.
· If you need bus service, please call Teri Dugas at 822-4333 to register. Bus schedules are available on the district website and in The Communicator newspaper.
· Our school counselor Jim Lorence will be available for schedule meetings the week of August 25th. Please call the office to schedule an appointment.
We are continuing last year’s theme of “Shared Character.” You are the most integral part in shaping your child’s character--- which is the sum of his/her life choices. We at Glennallen School also play a vital role in this responsibility. It starts with a strong and resolute mind and the right attitude for learning success. I encourage you to fulfill your role as parent and help us in this very important endeavor and, in doing so, our school and message becomes that much stronger.
The first step is attendance. It is imperative that your child is here promptly every day for school. Your child also needs proper sleep, a healthy and nutritious diet, and most importantly, a great attitude towards their schoolwork, the learning process, and the teachers. Otherwise, the chances of academic success will suffer. Please be an active participant in your child’s attendance and classwork, and you are always welcomed to come visit the school, teachers, or me. Communication is our greatest strength in ensuring a successful school year.
Enclosed you will find a student course schedule & a school calendar. Additional school forms will be given to students on the first day. Of critical importance is the Parent Permission & Acknowledgement Signature Sheet. I strongly encourage you to go to our CRSD webpage and fill it out electronically. Forms need to be returned by September 3rd.
As a team our “shared character” will ensure the greatest student success. Let’s team up & and make this a great school year!
Jack Von Thaer